Welcome to Part Three of the Motorbike Trailer Overhaul. If you haven’t read my introduction, click here. Basically, it talks about how I plan to breathe life back into this old trusty Motorbike Trailer with the help of some mates, some handy Supercheap Auto tools, and some willpower!
Part Three – New bits – Installing the suspension
In this article:
- Fitting new leaf springs
- Attaching leaf springs to axle
With all the old rusty parts off, the next step was to hunt around for a trailer suspension kit. Most trailer part manufacturers these days offer them in a range of different sizes to suit different applications.
We were lucky enough to get all the parts off the shelf at our local Supercheap Auto. Trojan are the brand that they carry and Trojan make a huge range of trailer parts from suspension kits, to safety chains and most of which are available in store!
Although we knew that the stud pattern of the old hubs was from a HQ Holden, it’s always a good idea to take your old hub in with you and measure it up by eye just to double check. You can view the range of available hubs online.
Along with new hubs, we decided to replace the leaf springs at the same time. There are a few different options when it comes to weight ratings with the Trojan Trailer Spring Kits. We opted for the 1000kg kit.
The leaf springs come in a complete kit and come with:
- 2 x Leaf Springs
- 2 x Leaf Spring Bolts
- 2 x U bolt Base Plates
- 4 x U bolts with nuts and washers
- 4 x Leaf Spring Mounting Brackets
With all the new parts at home, we were ready to start installing them!
One thing that is crucial when installing trailer parts is to have a high-quality grease on hand. We used Nulon Xtreme Performance Grease and used it throughout the build without any problems. Grease can be quite messy to work with, however when it comes in a tub, you can grab just the amount you need.
Before we fitted any parts, we went around all of them with and greased them up! Anything that moves or is in contact with another part needs grease.
Once everything was greased, we were able to put the springs in and bolt them all together. At this stage, there is no reason to over tighten the nuts and bolts as we were only really test fitting and ensuring everything fitted correctly. As the springs were exactly the same size, there was no need to change the mounting brackets. These ones just slid straight in and bolted up all correctly.
With the both springs in place, it’s time to mount the springs to the axle. This is done using the U Bolts from the kit. It’s as simple as attaching it all together and tightening it up just enough to hold it all into place.
The Ubolts attach around the axle and secure them in place by clamping the axle to the leaf springs. There is a little spacer in between the axle and the leaf, if you are replacing your suspension, be careful not to lose this as they are not included in the kits.
We ended up changing our minds and mounted the axle on the underside of the leaf (underside whilst upside down) as the trailer sat too high. This is how it ended up looking.
With everything in place, one last measurement of the axle at either end ensures they are equal and ready to be tightened into place. With everything measured up, we were able to tighten up all the nuts and bolts.
So with the suspension all in place all that left is to fit the hubs and that part of the trailer rebuild is complete! Stay tuned for Part 4 where we get the trailer to a state where it can be turned over and back onto its wheels!