Need to see where it all started? Click here to read the beginning!
So, in part two I spoke about our plans for building this trailer a new chassis from the ground up. We made a good start with the grinder and welder to get it all under way, and I had hoped to return to you with a complete chassis rolling about on some flashy new suspension and tyres.
And that’s exactly what I bring you today! Actually, building the chassis was a far easier task than I had expected. We made surprisingly few mistakes and we’re both pretty proud of what we’ve achieved so far!
Okay, so there’s a few pieces missing. We’ve got an SCA 8in Swing Jockey Wheel, spare wheel mount and gas bottle mounts to attach yet. These have been left for a moment as we aren’t entirely sure where the body will sit when we throw it back on. Once the body is in place we can have a play around with positioning them. Starting from the front of the trailer, let’s talk about our choice of hitch.
A brand new poly block coupling takes on the duty of connecting the trailer to the vehicle. These things provide absolutely unbeatable articulation. You could literally roll your vehicle upside down and the camper would stay in the same place. Of course there’s disadvantages. They can be a bit trickier to hitch up, and they are nowhere near as common as the old 50mm tow ball.
Time to talk donuts. As mentioned previously, the trailer already had the HT Holden hubs fitted. Common as seagulls on the foreshore those things. Finding the wheels we wanted was a bit more of a mission, but we eventually landed ourselves some King Wheels in a 14 inch size. They’re got some Bridgestone light truck tyres wrapped around them which may sound like overkill for a trailer but are a necessity for toughness and puncture resistance. The tread pattern is just a highway terrain as I don’t believe in big aggressive tread patterns on trailers. What’s the point when those wheels don’t have drive anyway?
Then there’s the new suspension setup. How much nicer is that over the original?! The springs are rated to 1100kg, just in case we find the trailer build going over the weight we are hoping for which would necessitate the installation of brakes. Better to have these things in mind you know? The original axle and hubs have been painted up with Septone Subframe Black, and a fresh set of Trojan HT Holden Bearings have been installed into the hubs.
Lastly we go right down the back to the new support legs we’ve installed. These just help to stop the camper tipping over when you’re trying to live in it! They have to be a lot longer than the original ones to account for the extra height we’ve built in. Nothing flashy about them, just wind them down with a hand crank.
And that my friends, is how you build one incredible, indestructible chassis! It would almost seem a shame to put the body back on now and cover up all that beautiful welding and shiny goodness. Hmmm…I might just stand here and admire the beauty just a little while longer…
With the chassis completed, it’s time to start thinking about an electrical system. Click here to view part four!